HelpBerkeley: COVID-19

Help us reach out to those who need us

Friends and neighbors:

We have expanded very quickly over the past 5 weeks: from the 22 we were on 4/1, there now are more than 400 of us at HelpBerkeley.org, between our wonderful consumers and our amazing volunteers! As for our deliveries, starting from a few meals a day on 4/1, they are now reaching 80 meals per day, with a good number of drivers on the road every day!

And yet we could still deliver many times more. Our newest members tell us they had never heard of us: despite our efforts to reach out, the large majority of those who need us don’t know we exist.

So we want to try to reach out harder. Soon we will share some of our new outreach programs with you, and ask if you want to help us in letting those who need us know about us: networking with senior and medical support organizations, flier and poster campaigns, NextDoor discussions, Facebook and other electronic media… We hope that you will be ready to help us!

One project that we are starting right now is our “Be Viral” campaign: it seems oddly appropriate in these times of pandemics! In the next few days, we will send some of you emails (not website notifications like this one, but real emails), asking you to let five of your friends know about us, asking them in turn to inform five of their friends again. Who knows: in a world with six degrees of separation, in six generations of this email, possibly all of Berkeley will know about us:-) Thanks in advance for your help!

In site news, you may notice some slight changes to our the website looks today:

• our old “Support” category (for Consumers only) is now called “Restaurants” and includes all restaurant feedback, as well as any questions related to (a) specific restaurants and (b) what happened to your order.

• our old “General” category is now called “Community”, and includes an “All” subcategory for both volunteers and consumers to share and discuss news, and have access to the same outreach programs.

• All general questions about how to order, or any other process issue, are now in “Questions”, under “Community”.

We hope that these changes will make the website easier to use and navigate! Stay safe!

3 Likes

You are doing a great job

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Signing up my mother

Thank you for your hard work and the update. I’m so glad that you ALL are here for us!

1 Like

Dear Michel,

This news about expansion all sounds great! I’d promote HelpBerkeley to other groups & individuals in community. This is such a great match to support folks in need -and- local restaurants & staff. I’m one of the people you mention who’d heard nothing about this. Luckily I saw info via Ashby Village’s May email newsletter and signed up. Wish I’d had the connection sooner.

One suggestion: “Be Viral” is not a good name for this campaign. Too confusing and contradictory against SIP focus of “Be Safe”.

I realize “Be Viral” is supposed to be funny. But considering all the confusing info & ‘fake news’ daily - and concerns (or fears) people already deal with, I would not feel comfortable advising others to “Be Viral”. Even in a good way. And could not ethically promote a “Be Viral” message during C-19 times. Especially not for HelpBerkeley’s target audience of seniors and other folks challenged with possible cognitive, physical, and other disability or existing illness due to “Virus”, or being at-risk. They may not understand the campaign’s name is a joke, rather than a health directive contrary to SIP mandates.

Please consider changing the name of HelpBerkeley’s outreach campaign; I would like to share & promote to others. I’ve already passed the website along to some of my groups.

Thanks for all that you do :hugs:

Lynn Orlando