My son and I are available Monday afternoon or wed morning to help coordinate driving.
Our dispatchers have made you a meal logistics volunteer, so now you can access the meal logistics category on the website.
We would be delighted to have you and your son join us for Wed pickup management, roughly from 11:30am to 3:00pm!
We also have three types of regular volunteer positions in meal logistics—we could use more volunteers in each category!
- Meal prep: we prep meals on Sundays from 10:00am to 3:00pm (morning and afternoon shifts possible) in a very large hall, with 30-foot ceilings and industrial ventilation, under the supervision of our Chef Alan. We also cook meals 9:00am-12:00pm on Mondays. No experience required!
- Food packing: we pack and clean on Mondays from 11:30am to 2:30pm, in the same place, in a very congenial atmosphere!
- Pickup management: we prepare driver pickup and load deliveries, outdoors, on different days and times of the week. Our biggest run is Monday from 2:30-4:30pm, but we have several others
- We also run all these activities on special days for large events, such as Thanksgiving and the winter holidays.
What schedules work best for you?
Once you reply to this message, you will get “tagged” (i.e. called out by your username, which will automatically generate an email for you) in a thread in the meal logistics subcategory (subcat), where you will be given directions for the training session you can attend!
Thanks so much again for volunteering with us: we look forward to working with you!
For complete information, for our Thanksgiving and their Holiday runs, we have, for full shifts or for 3-hour shifts:
- On Wednesday 11/24 from 11:00am to 3:00pm, driver pickup managers (organize drivers and driver traffic, load vehicles)
- On Sunday 12/12 and Monday 12/13 from 10:00am to 3:00pm, food preppers and packers
- On Sunday 12/19 and Monday 12/20, from 10:00am to 3:00pm, food preppers and packers
- On Thursday 12/23 from 11:00am to 3:00pm, driver pickup managers
Let us know what you’d like to participate in!
Do you still need help this afternoon for food packing? We are available starting around 1 pm.
@Jaym, our prep and pack session yesterday was so successful that we have much less work than we expected for today: I don’t think you should come at 1:00pm today, as we may be done very shortly afterwards!
But we do need help on Wed if you and your son are available!
Can you share the address where we need to go on Wednesday?
Also a contact name would be helpful too.
Yes! We will send you a detailed set of instructions tonight or tomorrow morning, but the address is 1710 Curtis St, Between Francisco and Virginia St (Google Map does not always route well there). It is the back parking lot of the Berkeley Adult School. Judith Dunham (@Jude) will be the overall manager for the operation.
@Jaym correction: the address is 1710 Curtis.