Driver Volunteer NaomiM

Hi, I would love to help as a driver:)
My only question is this: I understand that this service is to aid those with Covid-19, but to my understanding the number of cases in Berkeley is relatively low. Does this organization also offer services to those in vulnerable groups?

1 Like

Hi @NaomiM: Yes. We are considering that anyone who is vulnerable,or self-quarantined due to being in an at-risk category, and that cannot go shopping is eligible. There are many people around here, for instance, that are quite old, and have self-quarantined because they are likely to be very vulnerable to the disease.

Right now the number of sick is very low, and so is our demand. We are concerned that the demand will peak very fast if the pandemic kicks in (the curves show doubling every day). We would very much like to have volunteer drivers to take on peaking demand if the pandemic hits us hard as we are afraid it will.

Unfortunately, if we wait until demand starts peaking, we will not be able to ramp up fast enough unless we are already ramped up ahead of the pandemic.

Ah I see, that makes sense to prepare.
I hope I can be helpful in this crazy time. I’m free any day of the week for driving.

1 Like

Thank you so much @NaomiM for volunteering, welcome to the community!

I have made you a driver, so now you can access the driver-only subcategories (subcats) on the website.

Below is a link to a helpful post for new drivers to ramp up and learn more. If you have any questions, there are also FAQ’s in the driver subcats, or you can create a new post.
https://go.helpberkeley.org/t/new-driver-welcome-please-read-this/66 (only clickable by drivers)

The next step is to tell us when your schedule fits to drive, and how often you can drive. I’ll tag you in the driver availability thread, and you can see how to do that there.

We’re so happy to have you, thank you again for offering some of your time for this community!

1 Like

@NaomiM, can you join us in the Zoom driver training Sunday 4/5 at 12:00pm?

https://go.helpberkeley.org/t/driver-training-april-5-or-6/286/7