Eslerm logistics volunteer

Hi @eslerm, welcome and thanks so much for volunteering with HelpBerkeley.org! We would love to work with you. Our dispatchers have made you a logistics volunteer, and you can now access volunteer areas on the website.

As a logistics volunteer, you have access to many opportunities! Here are some of them:

• You can prep and cook food. Specifically for the 2021 Holidays, they occur on Sundays and Mondays, normally between 10:00am and 3:00pm or in shorter shifts. We do food prep in a huge hall that used to be a First World War Women’s Auxiliary Hall, with 30-foot ceilings, and enormous fans and vents. Everyone wears masks. We ask that everyone be vaccinated, and we check temperatures on arrival.
    • prep and pack days for the holidays are Sun 12/19 and Mon 12/20
  • You can manage driver pickups outdoors. For the holidays, it will be on Thu 12/23 between 11:30am and 3:00pm for the 2021 Holidays.
  • Every week of the year, you can:
    • prep on Sundays between 12:30pm and 3:30pm
    • cook on Mondays between 9:00am and 12:00pm
    • pack on Mondays between 11:30am and 2:30pm
    • organize driver pickup on Mondays between 1:15pm and 3:45pm

For more info/dates for these events view this link: https://go.helpberkeley.org/t/logistics-volunteers-pls-help-prepping-and-packing-holiday-meals/8229

What would you like to do? Can you attend one of our Holiday prep & pack days? Please reply to this message!

One of us will contact you in the next 24-48 hours as well.

Thank you for again for volunteering your time with us, we’re so glad to have you on board!

I would like to volunteer for Sunday 12/19 and Monday 12/20 for prep and pack. Where do I go? It seems to be a different place than Bauman?
Thank you,
Esther Lerman

1 Like

Thanks so much!
Below is the instruction which went out this morning.
Looking forward to working with you!
Akemi

• we will start working at 10:00am on both days, and end around 3:00pm
  • you should bring a mask, a hat, and a good sense of humor!
  • all of us will fill a quick COVID questionnaire, clean hands, get temperature tested, wear gloves (we have tons of these) and do all we can to space ourselves away from other volunteers
  • we will work primarily, but not only, on main dishes(chicken or veggie options and rice) for the holiday meal. We would like to prep and pack 450 double meal containers, i.e. 900 meals’ worth of main dishes, or more
  • a lot of the work in the Kitchen involves cleaning: be ready :slight_smile:
  • we are using the Kitchen at Bauman Wellness. Our entrance is through the parking lot at 1925 Ninth St, Berkeley near the corner of University. The back door entry is in the very far right corner of the parking lot when entering it from the street, up 3 steps and a little ramp. Our green door is behind the Berkeley Food Network facility where they operate a food pantry, and next to Meals on Wheels. (See photo)

Dear Kaelen and Akemi,
I am truly sorry, but I need to withdraw from doing the HelpBerkeley volunteering tomorrow and Monday. I had an anxiety attack at 3am about doing it… I am 74 years old and the idea of being in close quarters (despite that you are clearly being so careful and responsible) really worries me over covid, especially now that there’s a more contagious variant.
It is totally out of character for me to break a commitment once I make one, but I feel I need to take care of myself in this way. I apologize and thank you for this wonderful project in support of Berkeley’s seniors in need.
Best wishes,
Esther Lerman
“eslerm”

Dear Esther,

I am sorry you couldn’t sleep well. It is definitely better to be extra careful these days. We have many middle schoolers tomorrow who are freshly fully vaccinated and I think we are well covered! So please no worries!
Happy holidays!
Akemi and friends at helpberkeley.org

1 Like

Thank you, Akemi.
Happy Holidays,
Esther

2 Likes