Judys: when would you like to volunteer?

Hi @judys welcome to HelpBerkeley.org, and thanks very much for volunteering!, Our dispatchers have made you a meal logistics volunteer, so now you can access the meal logistics category on the website.

When and what tasks would work best for you? We have three types of volunteer positions in meal logistics—we could use more volunteers in each category (children with their parents are welcome in all shifts):

• Meal prep: we prep meals on Sundays from 12:30am to 3:30pm (morning and afternoon shifts possible) in a very large hall, with 30-foot ceilings and industrial ventilation, under the supervision of our Chef Alan (we also cook meals 9:30am-12:30pm on Mondays but need fewer volunteers then).
  • Food packing: we pack and clean on Mondays from 11:30am to 2:30pm, in the same place, in a very congenial atmosphere!
  • Pickup management: we prepare driver pickup and load deliveries, outdoors, on Mondays between 1:30pm and 4:00pm.

Thanks so much again for volunteering with us: we look forward to your response!

FYI @sakemif

1 Like

Hi Judy @judys cc Chetana @tweety7721

Thanks for signing up!

Below is the template that we have been sending to people who signed up through BPC.
Thank you very much for all your help!
Akemi

Thank you very much for joining us the team BPC at Help Berkeley! I am Akemi @sakemif, Leon Schubert(6p)'s mom and Chetana @tweety7721 Vikram(7th) mom can also help if you have any questions! I am there in the kitchen with Leon most Sundays. He really enjoys chopping veggies with our chef Alan. I also help in the kitchen + help loading cars on Monday afternoons until Leon walks over from school. My weekly exercise! Which shift would you be interested in? If you can reply to me in this email, which role and how often(eg. Monday pickup, twice a month), I will add you to the scheduling calendar. 2022 logistics availability (please log in to see)
Please mark available days with Y, and not available days with color red.

Reminders like this will be sent out to the volunteers a few days in advance.

Please let us know, if anything is unclear.
Thank you, Akemi (Leon 6P) and Chetana (Vikram 7th)

Hi Akemi and sorry for the delayed response! I had originally wanted to log on to see if I could arrange a prep get together for my daughter and some friends this past Sunday but unfortunately something else ended up coming up before I got access to the system and could make arrangements. I’m afraid our schedule is so jammed (Anna is on a swim team, which I suggest avoiding if you want to do anything other than attend practices and swim meets!) so it will be difficult for us to commit to coming with any regularity, but if I can see the schedule ahead of time I should be able to slot us in once in a while. We are likely away the next two weekends but I hope things will settle down a bit after that and we can see you there!

Thanks again for all of this – it was great to hear from you and Michel at Parent Circle – I just wish more parents were able to make it.

Best,

Judy

1 Like

Hi Akemi!

My daughter and I finally made it to prep this past Sunday and are planning to come with a group of friends this coming Sunday, although we can only stay for about an hour and a half. Is it ok for us to bring extra people without putting them on the sheet? One of the other parents is already on the spreadsheet (WeiWei), and we are bringing one other BPC parent and a total of 5 13 year-olds. Hope that’s ok – please let me know if not!

Thanks and see you soon,

Judy

1 Like

Hi Judy,

That’s wonderful that you were there! Sorry we weren’t able to be there. Leon came down with a fever and was missing school entire last week. We were all PCR negative several times and will be back this Sunday.
Let me check with @MichelThouati Michel about the restriction we put on the number of people in the kitchen and come back to you. Thanks for recruiting other families!
Akemi

So sorry to hear Leon was so sick but glad to hear you’re all ok! Just let me know and please apologize to Michel about making for such a lumpy schedule. With luck we will lure at least some of them into becoming regulars . . . .

1 Like

And if it matters, I am fairly confident all the families would be ok with our whole group occupying just 2 tables and not distancing from one another. We were podded for the pandemic and spend time in each others’ homes unmasked so can be treated as one group.

Oh no, I spoke too soon! It turns out that whoever is positive at the upper school is in the split that almost all of the kids in the group are in, because we’ve just gotten a contact letter from BPC. We’ve been told our kids can still go to school but unfortunately I don’t know how close the contact was. Would everyone prefer if we stayed away this weekend?

Hi Judy,
we will have entire kitchen and there is no need to cap the number of people.

oh no! We got the notification from BPC too but it was not a close contact for us. I wouldn’t mind but let me see who else will be there. Just a sec. @MichelThouati

OK! The school has followed up to say they rapid tested most of the kids in the split today and we should be getting results soon, and assuming they’re all negative now, we can all also rapid test on Sunday before we come in.

1 Like

That sounds great! Looking forward to seeing you all!
Akemi